Saturday, January 23, 2016

Class Registration

It’s that time of year where you starting signing up for the classes you want to next in the upcoming year. Keep in mind that it is January and we’re only half way done with the year. I don’t know what classes I don’t know what classes I want to take, I’m not even done with my classes for the current year! But I understand that assigning kids to different classes and teachers is a very long process so they want us to register very early.

There are certain requirements you have to meet in order to graduate at the end of your senior year. You need to complete the following:

·         4 years of language arts

·         3 years of math

·         3 years of science

·         3 years of social studies (including government and economics)

·         2 years of a foreign language

You also have to take a certain amount of “elective” classes to get the need number of credits to graduate. Electives include: foreign language, business classes, other core subject classes, etc..

Most people take all 4 core classes for all four years of high school, but others do not. For example, I want to pursue business in college, so I am not taking a science class my senior year. I don’t need another science class because my major doesn’t require it and because I have already completed the 3 years of science that I need to graduate.

Your junior and senior year, you have the option of doing Kirkwood classes. There are different courses that are available to high school students to take during the school day, at Kirkwood, the can earn you a specific number of college credits. This is a great opportunity for everyone and I would really consider taking one of these classes because it can get required classes out of the way for you in college and it’s FREE!!! Taking Kirkwood classes doesn’t mean that you have to attend Kirkwood after high school, most of the credits for these classes will transfer over to whatever college you decide to go to.

If Kirkwood doesn’t sound interesting to you because you are unsure of what you want to do in college or they don’t offer any classes that you think you may need, I would strongly encourage you to look into the AP classes that we offer right here at Kennedy. They are college level classes and can also earn you college credit if you chose to take the AP test at the end of the year.

These are both great opportunities for high school students and we should take advantage of these while we can.
(438)

No comments:

Post a Comment