Sunday, October 18, 2015

Broken Dreams


I read John Nolan’s blog (http://thebestschoolspirit.blogspot.com/2015/10/senior.html) about not being able to play football anymore and how much he missed it and that gave me inspiration to write this blog. So thanks John!

 High school is the time where we find the things we’re good at, the things we love. For some people like me, we have been playing the same sports our whole lives and we would go crazy if we didn’t have them. The lucky ones make it their whole lives and never get seriously hurt to the point where they aren’t able to come back, but not all of us are that lucky.

At the end of the summer, August 1st to be exact, I was working (at Sky Zone) an extremely long shift and my manager let me off early. A lot of employees like to jump after they get off, it’s a great way to get out energy and just kind of hang out, and well that’s what I did. Some friends had come to jump so I figured I would just stay there with them for an hour until we closed then I’d go home and go to bed. Me, being the show off that I am, I had to prove someone wrong and show them that I could do a flip off the wall, just like they did. I had never done a front flip off of the side wall before but I didn’t really think it would be that hard, so I went for it. Long story short I broke my left fibula and had to go to the emergency room that night. I was sitting in my room at the hospital waiting for my x-rays to come back, I was hoping I just had a bad sprain and it would take a week or two to heal, but when the doctor came back, she said I had a clean break. She basically told me that I wouldn’t be able to dance for quite a while and that I needed a lot of time to heal and recover. At this time, we thought that we were going to Nationals for dance team and I knew at that moment that I was not going to be competing at nationals. I was devastated! I thought that I was going to go all the way to Orlando for the national competition and I was going to have to sit there and watch my team compete without me.

Turns out we aren’t going to nationals this year anyway, but I still am not back to dancing. The dance team just competed at their first competition this past weekend and all I could do was watch from the stands as my team danced their hearts out and won two first place trophies. I would give anything to be dancing right now. I can’t believe that one little thing I did have an effect that would last months. There was no way I could have known that I was going to land that flip wrong and that I was going to break my ankle. It’s scary to think that anything we do could go bad and stop us from doing the things we love.

No comments:

Post a Comment