Thursday, October 1, 2015

Stress

High school students are very busy. Athletes, musicians, and artists, all with busy schedules. A lot of students have full schedules with extracurricular activities on top of that. We have late practices every day. We're exhausted and still have to go home and do homework, but all we want to do is go home, eat, and go to bed. This same routine everyday gets really old for some people, like me, we like to change things up. For other people, they like the same routine, they like "normal."

We are getting to the age where we are all getting job on top of all these activities and responsibilities we already have. All of this "go, go, go" becomes very stressful and over whelming for high-schoolers. Personally I am involved in two school sports and I work at Sky Zone. I try to work as much as possible, the few days I don't have practice, and a lot on the weekends. This leaves me with almost no time to do homework and even less time to hang out with my friends. I know it's very hard to find the motivation to come home after a long practice and sit down and do an hour or so worth of homework.

School alone is very stressful. We get quite a bit of homework that we have to do every night, I don't mind the homework that will actually help you learn the thing you need to learn, like AP homework, but some homework for other classes is just busy work. I hate when teachers give their students "busy work", they have nothing else to teach for the rest of the class so they give us a worksheet that we have to do and there's usually no point to it.

The stress that comes from all these responsibilities is huge! Sometimes the stress gets to you and you totally shut down, you don't have any motivation to do your work, so you go and watch Netflix or something else unproductive. It's very hard to not let the stress get to you, to push through it and get things done. Some people are very good at this, and others, like me, struggle with this. I praise these people, they are very strong willed. They will get very far in life with this attitude and motivation. For those of you, we will have to work on this, we will get there, we just have to work a little bit harder and find our motivation.

3 comments:

  1. This is by far one of the most accurate articles I have ever read on school stress. I can relate to every aspect of it (minus doing sports, because I attempted to do sports a few years ago in addition to music and other extracurricular activities... and it didn't work out too well, to say the least) and your writing topics really resonate with the stress you, I, and countless other students feel on a daily basis.
    Thank you for your awesome blog, and I really hope you keep writing blog posts like this! (although I didn't comment on them, I'm reading a few other blog posts of yours and I think you're really on-point!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really enjoy this topic, because it is entirely true. I agree that school can be extremely stressful, especially if you are involved in other activities. This topic is not only informing others on the stress school creates, but inspiring towards the end. It persuades people to find motivation and not put things off. Great job Jade!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You blog is very relatable and well written. You took the words out of my mouth, good job!

    ReplyDelete